Friday, December 30, 2016

The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand

I believe this is the third time I read The Fountainhead and, of course, I enjoyed it. I read it because my son read it in his 8th grade class as Van Damme Academy. I had trouble helping him answer some of his essay questions on the novel about the character's motivations so I thought I'd read it again so I was more clear on the characters. Unfortunately, I still didn't understand all the motivations and why they said the things they did.

Reading it again, I realized The Fountainhead is probably Ayn Rand's most autobiographical novel, at least as her own motivations are concerned. I believe the motivations of Roark and Dominique are similar to Rand's and she was explaining how she thinks about her art in some of the key passages in The Fountainhead.

It's a great book, but I still like Atlas Shrugged better.

No comments:

Post a Comment