Sunday, July 13, 2014

Wayward, by Blake Crouch

As soon as I finished Pines, I immediately downloaded the next book in the series, Wayward. The Kindle makes it too easy, and I borrowed both for free with my Prime account (Crouch still gets some money for borrowed books.) The big secret revealed at the end of Pines was excellent and I wanted to see what happened next to the characters I'd been following. After such a great reveal at the end of Pines, it isn't surprising that Wayward wasn't able to match the surprise. However, there is still a mystery to solve in Wayward which makes the book stand on its own in the trilogy: Why was the Founder's daughter killed?

While just as well written as Pines, I wasn't as satisfied with Wayward because the payoff at the end wasn't as big. However, since this book is in the middle, it needs to set up a big finish for the third novel, and it did this well. The last book in the trilogy, The Last Town, isn't out yet, but I plan to read it soon after it is released so see what finally happens to these characters I've come to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment