Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Deep Blue Goodbye, by John D. MacDonald

I read this book after I learned that Dirty Jobs host Mike Rowe is a fan of the Travis McGee series. Written in 1964, it has a lot of psychobabble that was popular at the time but is distracting today. The main women in the story also acted like helpless victims, which I suppose was normal for that time period, but also seemed out of place in today's culture.

Besides these aspects not standing the test of time, the book was well written with a decent plot. But it wasn't as good as Robert B. Parker, who is my favorite author in this type of hard-boiled detective genre.

I probably won't read another Travis McGee novel, but I may try The End of the Night, which Stephen King mentioned as a great American tragedy. Or I might try The Executioners, on which the movie Cape Fear was based.

No comments:

Post a Comment