Saturday, July 25, 2015

Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn

For the first three-quarters of the book, I thought this was one of the best books I'd ever read. I loved getting deep inside the heads of the two main characters and really learning what makes them tick. The suspense of trying to figure out who was the good guy and who was the bad guy was very well done and kept me reading. I was also very impressed with how well the female author wrote from the husband's perspective--she clearly has an excellent grasp of the differences between the sexes.

Even when the book started to get complicated and less plausible, I was still along for the ride. Things worked out well for the scheming wife and she had her husband right where she wanted him. But then...nothing. She didn't really want anything except to go back to having an adoring husband, something she should have known would be a lie. It was just too much that she went to all that trouble just to get her husband back as a doting fool. If the ending had been more meaningful, this would be one of my favorite books. It had the same potential of Replay, but in that case the book paid off with an excellent ending, and it is one of my favorite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment