Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pacific Vortex! by Clive Cussler

Clive Cussler is rich and famous and this is what he writes? That's what I thought about half-way through Pacific Vortex!. The fact that he uses the exclamation point in several of his titles is a good indication of his style--exciting things are happening so it must be exciting to the reader. Apparently it is for millions of readers, but it sure wasn't for me. Pacific Vortex! is about thin characters doing and saying ridiculous things. It has a lot of action, but I never really cared what happened to the people. It reminded me of an action-packed adventure movie that people yawn at because the action has very little significance.

I read this book to get ideas about how to build suspense in my writing, but it ended up showing me what not to do. This is apparently the first book in the series but was not released first because Cussler knew it was sub-standard. Maybe I'll give another one of his books a chance, but it's hard to imagine that the others are dramatically better.

No comments:

Post a Comment